How to keep agency teams productive, challenged & above all, inspired
Posted on: 19 Sep 2017
When you need to keep your clients continuously happy and your team constantly creative, burnout needs to be avoided at all costs. Fatigued staff have nothing left to give, resulting in a drop in work quality, unexpected resignations and high turnover. Which means additional time and effort to fill posts and keep on top of work. Instead of attempting a fuel injection when your team’s low on gas, the solution is to avoid exhaustion in the first place. The strategies outlined in this article will help you deal with burnout today and eliminate it for the long-term, helping you to keep your teams productive, challenged and inspiredAre Your Staff Burning Out? If you notice any of the following symptoms, it’s likely they are running on empty:
- You have to battle to keep your own energy levels high as the waves of exhaustion rolling off your people threaten to pull you down.
- Walls of cynicism have been erected; when people occasionally look at you, their eyebrows are usually cocked like a gun about to go off.
- There’s a stench of resentment in the air as more work is piled on over-burdened shoulders.
- People are slumped in a fug of detachment; breezy brainstorming sessions don’t cut through and ideas are in short supply.
- Calculate the number of days per year that person will work, after deducting holidays, bank holidays and estimated sick days
- Multiply the number of working days by the percentage of time that they can realistically spend on billable work (from experience, this is rarely more than 70%)
- Schedule those available days into a 12-month rolling calendar so you can see the actual dates that each person is available to spend in work and on billable projects
- the skill sets your business requires
- how many people you need at different organisational levels
- when you’ll need them
- Re-train the people you have to be able to deliver the skills that you need to fulfil your vision
- Replace the people you have now with people that have the right skills